Memorial Lutheran School is currently planning to start
the 2020-21 school year with in-person and on-campus learning following all public safety guidelines.
DAILY LIFE DURING COVID-19
Health and Wellness at Memorial Lutheran School
The health and safety of our entire school community is our highest priority. Our staff takes every precaution to maintain a safe environment for the children here at MLS. Memorial Lutheran School is monitoring the Coronavirus COVID-19 and resources provided by the CDC (link is external), Houston Health Department (link is external), and Harris County Public Health (link is external).
What do you need to do before the First Day of School?
- Summer Reading Challenge 2020 — All students who complete a challenge will be able to participate in a designated free dress day and receive a certificate of achievement for each challenge met. All tracking sheets are due by Monday, August 24, 2020. Click Here for more details.
- Complete Health Forms -
- Immunization Form
- Purchase School Uniforms — Memorial Lutheran School adheres to a school uniform policy for students in Preschool 3 to 9th grade. Children are to wear the official school uniform each day of the week. On Wednesdays, the “Full Dress” uniform is to be worn — that information is indicated in the uniform policy.
Lands' End is our school uniform supplier. Memorial Lutheran School's preferred number is 900153529 when ordering online.
Face coverings will be required (grades 4-9) when social distancing cannot be maintained (in the hallways, during transitions, etc.). Students in preschool through 3rd grade may wear masks during these times as well.Students will be allowed to wear disposal (surgical) or solid school colored cloth masks. Permitted colors are:
Cloth masks may be purchased from Lands' End, other stores, or they may be hand-made.
- Hunter green
- Navy blue
School Supplies List —
August Calendar Dates -
- August 3rd — 7th — Summer Camp Olympic Week will be concluding our Summer Camp! This is a great way for new students to get to know their school and for returning students to visit friends in a safe and small size environment. Click Here to sign up for Summer Camp!
- August 10th — 14th — Childcare will be available for Memorial students the week before school starts. Email Tiffanie Conchola to sign up.
- August 16th — Back to School Night will allow parents and students to visit with teachers. More details to come.
- August 19th — First Day of School for 2020-2021
- Register for Lunch — Roadrunner Foods based locally in Sugar Land has been providing healthy hot lunches for over a decade! Road Runner Foods and The Memorial Lutheran School will be using a national web-based school lunch ordering company to make ordering, tracking and paying for your child’s lunch easy and convenient! Please place orders by Wednesday, August 12th to receive lunch on the 19th.
- Please read this Letter to the Parent from Roadrunner Foods
- August Menu
Instructions:1. Visit www.lunchdirect.com2. Use the Registration Key specific to Memorial Lutheran School — 5800003. Fill in your information/children’s information under the right class and teachers name.4. Begin selecting the days you wish to have lunch delivered and complete Checkout!
Children with life-threatening allergies are strongly encouraged not to participate in Lunch Direct’s meal program. Parents of children with life-threatening food allergies are encouraged to pack a lunch from home.
- Register for Extended Day — Extended childcare for before and after school is available for all children enrolled at Memorial Lutheran School. Your extended day care needs are specified in your submitted enrollment packet. If your needs change, please email Tiffanie Conchola 30 days in advance so that billing is adjusted accordingly.
Will students be able to practice social distancing during the school day?
MLS will use the social distancing guidance of three feet around each student's desk, resulting in a six foot total distance between any two students in the classroom. In addition, transitions between classes will be minimized as appropriate per grade level.
Are you screening students prior to school entry?
Yes, the temperatures of all children and staff are taken upon entering the building. In order to exercise an abundance of caution, temperatures exceeding 99.0 will result in a child needing to stay home. We encourage parents to pre-screen at home first.
Are parents required to wear masks at school?
At this time, visiting the school building is discouraged. Parents are required to wear masks when approaching the school doors for drop off and pick up.
- How will drop-off and pick-up work?
Immediately upon entry, temperature checks and hand sanitizing will occur. For pick-up, we encourage all parents to wait in the car line to pick up your child. If you wish to pick up your child at the door, please remain outside and your child will be brought to you.
- Are teachers required to wear masks?
Faculty and staff are bound by the Governor’s mask order. Masks will be employed when social distancing is not possible.
- Will the school require my child to wear a mask?
MLS will comply with all state orders for face coverings indoors. When faculty and students are unable to maintain social distancing indoors, masks will be used to protect faculty, staff, and students.
- Face coverings will be required (grades 4-9) when social distancing cannot be maintained (in the hallways, during transitions, etc.). Students in preschool through 3rd grade may wear masks during these times as well.
Students will be allowed to wear disposal (surgical) or solid school colored cloth masks. Permitted colors are:
- Hunter green
- Navy blue
Cloth masks may be purchased from Lands' End, other stores or they may be hand-made.
- When not required, teachers reserve the right to confiscate masks that are not used properly during the school day.
- Any individual may choose to wear a mask beyond the state requirements.
- Appropriate face coverings for school will be outlined in the school manuals available at the start of school.
- Are children able to drink from the water fountains?
- We require students to bring and use refillable water bottles to avoid direct contact with the fountain equipment. Community water fountains will be disabled until further notice.
- How often are the children going to wash their hands?
Most classrooms at MLS have either a sink in the classroom, or in the connecting restrooms. Handwashing regimens will be observed by all students and staff, with a minimum of a thorough washing at the start of the day, before and after lunch, and when transitioning (overseen by teachers).
- Are you going to have a high school in the 2020-2021 school year?
Yes, we are starting high school with a 9th grade class in August 2020. Space is available. Click here for more details.
- Will there be recess?
Yes, recess is a necessary break in the day for children. Outdoor recess will be staggered and take place in a variety of locations around campus.
- Where is my child eating lunch?
Lunch period will be staggered and take place in a variety of locations around campus.